Inkspots

Monday 19 January 2015

On the Outside Looking In

Hello there!
Today, I've decided to talk about something a bit more serious than I've done so far. I'm going to talk about something that I struggle with quite a bit, my place in society.

In school, we all know (or think we know) that there are 'cliques'. There's the cool girls that get the hot boyfriends and are really sporty and chatty, there are the lads who think they're a gift from God, when really they're a pain in the hole, there's the quiet girls who don't talk much, the ones who are a bit too immature for their age, the nerdy people who try to show off in a way they think subtle but really isn't, the one's who are between all the above, and then there's me.
For a while this really bugged me. In my head I had everyone sorted into a category except myself. I was the outsider. Not cool enough to be in the with the popular girls, not shy and geeky enough to be in with the quiet ones.
My friends are always re-assuring though. I recall being on the bus to go shopping with one of my friends, and we were talking about the 'cliques' and I told her how I felt about my position in all of this. She told me the following (in different words obviously- I'm not that good.): "One day, the cliques will all be gone and what you'll remember is not what group you were in, but the memories you had with the people who mattered most."
 And she was right. Really, what we think are the 'popular people' are just ordinary people like you and me who, in our heads, we have classified as better than us. It is so unnecessary for us to believe we are not as good as the others or feel we should act like them so as to be perceived as 'cool'.
So today I can pretty much say I am happy with who I am, in school and out. I still have those moments when I think other people are judging me because of who and who I don't hang out with, but for most of the time I'm okay.
The message I'm trying to get across here is, be yourself. I know it's so clichéd but that's because it's true. Who cares where you fit in society, as long as you do you and stick to that, I'm pretty sure you'll turn out just fine.

Hope you enjoyed this more serious post, it's something I just had an itch to write about. I plan on doing some more posts like this in the future so stick around for them.

Adios amigos,
Inkspots


No comments:

Post a Comment